Green Beans Northwest Style
Roasted hazelnuts and blue cheese add just a bit of pizazz to a favorite vegetable.
- 4 cups string beans, fresh
- 1/4 cup hazelnuts, raw
- 1/4 cup blue cheese*, crumbled
- Remove ends from green beans and wash well.
- Toast hazelnuts in a toaster oven or in the oven at 350°F (175°C) for 5 minutes, until the skins are dark brown. Cool. Remove skins of nuts by rolling them between your hands until the skin falls off. Discard skins. Chop nuts coarsely and combine with blue cheese in a small bowl.
- Bring about 2 cups (480mL) of water to a boil in a medium-sized saucepan. Add beans and cook, covered for about 7 minutes, until they are bright green. Remove from heat and drain.
- Place beans in a serving dish and sprinkle with blue cheese and hazelnut mixture. Serve immediately.
* Allergy notes: The egg protein lysozyme is an unlabeled additive in some cheeses. People allergic to eggs should eliminate any cheese in this recipe.
Calories from Fat 62 (55%)
(11%)Total Fat 7g
(9%)Saturated Fat 2g
Polyunsaturated Fat 1g
Monounsaturated Fat 4g
Total Carbohydrate 9g
(18%)Dietary Fiber 5g
Sugar Alcohols 0g
Copyright © 2015 Aisle7. All rights reserved. Aisle7.com
Read our healthy recipe definitions.
Learn more about Aisle7, the company.
Learn more about the authors of Aisle7 products.
The information presented here is for informational purposes only and was created by a team of US–registered dietitians and food experts. Consult your doctor, practitioner, and/or pharmacist for any health problem and before using any supplements, making dietary changes, or before making any changes in prescribed medications. Information expires June 2016.