Feta Cheese and Beet Pasta
Beautiful red beets contrast with the pasta in this unusual way of using fresh beets.
- 4 medium beets, scrubbed
- 12 oz linguine, uncooked
- 1 Tbs extra virgin olive oil
- 1/2 medium onion, chopped
- 1/2 tsp salt (sea salt if on a corn-free diet*)
- 4 oz feta cheese*, crumbled
- Freshly ground pepper, to taste
- Boil beets in their skins for about 45 minutes.
- While beets are cooking, cook linguine in boiling water until done. Drain linguine, reserving about 1 cup (250mL) of the liquid.
- Rinse beets well under cold running water and slide the skins off. Chop beets into 1/2-inch (2cm) cubes (or smaller).
- Heat olive oil in a 12-inch (30cm) nonstick skillet and add onions. Cook onions until tender, and lightly browned. Add chopped beets and salt to the onions. Transfer the pasta into the skillet with the beets and onions. Stir until the pasta and the beets are well combined. Top with the crumbled feta cheese and the freshly ground pepper.
* Allergy notes: People following a corn-free diet should avoid iodized salt since it contains dextrose, which should be avoided by those allergic to corn. The egg protein lysozyme is an unlabeled additive in some cheeses. People allergic to eggs should eliminate any cheese in this recipe.
Calories from Fat 96 (23%)
(16%)Total Fat 11g
(24%)Saturated Fat 5g
Polyunsaturated Fat 1g
Monounsaturated Fat 4g
Total Carbohydrate 65g
(17%)Dietary Fiber 4g
Sugar Alcohols 0g
Copyright © 2015 Aisle7. All rights reserved. Aisle7.com
Read our healthy recipe definitions.
Learn more about Aisle7, the company.
Learn more about the authors of Aisle7 products.
The information presented here is for informational purposes only and was created by a team of US–registered dietitians and food experts. Consult your doctor, practitioner, and/or pharmacist for any health problem and before using any supplements, making dietary changes, or before making any changes in prescribed medications. Information expires June 2016.