An excellent vegetarian staple. Prior to cooking, salt the sliced eggplant and place in a colander with a heavy bowl on top for up to 2 hours.
- Sauce3 Roma tomatoes
- 1/2 red bell pepper
- 4 sundried tomatoes (from a jar or rehydrated)
- 3 garlic cloves
- 1/2 medium yellow onion, diced
- 1 Tbs oregano
- 2 Tbs balsamic vinegar
- 1 Tsp. hot sauce
- 1 Tbs tomato paste
- 1 tsp sugar
- Salt and pepper to taste
- Eggplant1 eggplant
- 2 Tbs salt
- 2 eggs
- 1 Tbs oregano
- 2 Tbs flour
- 1 cup Panko bread crumbs
- 3 Tbs extra virgin olive oil
- 1/2 cup Parmesan cheese, thinly sliced
- 1/2 cup Asiago cheese, shredded
- In a food processor, blend tomatoes, red pepper, and sundried tomatoes until smooth. Add oregano, balsamic vinegar, hot sauce, sugar, and tomato paste and blend until they are well combined.
- In a medium-sized pot, heat up olive oil on medium-high heat. Add onions and cook until they are translucent. Add garlic and cook for one more minute. Add tomato purée to pot and bring to a boil. Turn down heat and let simmer uncovered for about 45 minutes.
- Preheat oven to 350 F°.
- In the meantime, prepare the eggplant. In a shallow, bowl mix the eggs with oregano and fill a separate bowl with bread crumbs. Cover the eggplant with flour, dip each piece in the egg mixture and then cover with bread crumbs.
- Heat 1 Tbsp of olive oil in a frying pan on medium-high heat. Fry the eggplant on each side in batches until golden brown.
- In a glass oven-safe dish, coat the bottom with 1/4 of the tomato sauce. Place 1/3 of the fried eggplant into the dish and cover with 1/4 more sauce. Sprinkle with cheese and repeat until all the eggplant has been used. Top with sauce and sprinkle with cheese. Bake uncovered for 30 minutes.
- You can serve the eggplant on a bed of pasta or on its own with a side salad. Enjoy!
Calories from Fat 202 (47%)
(35%)Total Fat 23g
(37%)Saturated Fat 7g
Polyunsaturated Fat 2g
Monounsaturated Fat 10g
Total Carbohydrate 41g
(34%)Dietary Fiber 8g
Sugar Alcohols 0g
Copyright © 2015 Aisle7. All rights reserved. Aisle7.com
Read our healthy recipe definitions.
Learn more about Aisle7, the company.
Learn more about the authors of Aisle7 products.
The information presented here is for informational purposes only and was created by a team of US–registered dietitians and food experts. Consult your doctor, practitioner, and/or pharmacist for any health problem and before using any supplements, making dietary changes, or before making any changes in prescribed medications. Information expires June 2016.