Curried Mushroom Barley Soup
Curry delivers complexity, an enticing aroma, and a gorgeous hue to this vegetable-rich soup that cooks in a hurry.
- 2 Tbs butter
- 1 cup sliced carrots
- 1 cup chopped onion
- 1 lb white button mushrooms, sliced (about 5 cups)
- 8 oz smoked ham, diced (about 1 1/2 cups)
- 4 to 5 tsp curry powder
- 2 cans (1 3/4 ounces each) ready-to-serve chicken broth
- 1 can (14 1/2 ounces) stewed tomatoes
- 1/2 cup quick-cooking barley
- In a large saucepan melt butter. Add carrots and onion; cook, stirring occasionally until carrots are nearly crisp-tender, about 5 minutes.
- Add mushrooms; cook, stirring frequently until mushrooms are tender, about 5 minutes. Add ham and curry powder; cook stirring constantly, until curry is fragrant, 30 to 60 seconds. Stir in chicken broth, tomatoes and barley. Bring to a boil; reduce heat and simmer covered, until barley is tender, about 10 minutes.
Calories from Fat 68 (30%)
(12%)Total Fat 8g
(20%)Saturated Fat 4g
Polyunsaturated Fat 1g
Monounsaturated Fat 2g
Total Carbohydrate 32g
(32%)Dietary Fiber 8g
Sugar Alcohols 0g
Copyright © 2015 Aisle7. All rights reserved. Aisle7.com
Read our healthy recipe definitions.
Learn more about Aisle7, the company.
Learn more about the authors of Aisle7 products.
The information presented here is for informational purposes only and was created by a team of US–registered dietitians and food experts. Consult your doctor, practitioner, and/or pharmacist for any health problem and before using any supplements, making dietary changes, or before making any changes in prescribed medications. Information expires June 2016.