Cumin-Rubbed Steak and Roasted Root Vegetable Salad
An assortment of earthy root vegetables and simple vinaigrette pair well with spicy cumin-rubbed sirloin.
- 1 lb boneless beef top sirloin steak, cut 3/4 inch thick
- 1 lb beets, trimmed, peeled, cut into eighths (cut into quarters if small)
- 1/2 cup water
- 2 sweet potatoes, peeled, cut into 1-1/2 1-inch pieces
- 3 shallots, peeled, cut lengthwise in half (about 5 ounces)
- 1- 1/2 tsp olive oil
- 1/2 tsp sea salt
- 1- 1/2 tsp ground cumin
- 1/2 tsp coarse grind black pepper
- 8 cups mixed salad greens
- sea salt
- 2 Tbs sliced unblanched almonds, toasted (optional)
- Sweet Beet Vinaigrette2 Tbs reserved beet cooking liquid
- 1 Tbs sherry vinegar
- 2 tsp brown sugar
- 1/2 tsp sea or kosher salt
- 1- 1/2 Tbs olive oil
- Heat oven to 425°F. Place beets in small roasting pan or 9-inch metal baking pan; drizzle with water. Cover pan tightly with aluminum foil. Place sweet potatoes and shallots on 15 x 10-inch metal baking pan. Drizzle with 1-1/2 teaspoons oil and sprinkle with 1/2 teaspoon salt; toss to coat. Roast vegetables in 425°F oven 30 minutes or until tender. Remove beets from pan; reserve 2 tablespoons cooking liquid for vinaigrette. Loosely cover vegetables. Set aside.
- Combine cumin and pepper; press evenly onto beef steaks. Heat large nonstick skillet over medium heat until hot. Place top sirloin steak in skillet; cook 10 to 13 minutes (tenderloin steaks, 7 to 9 minutes) for medium rare (145°F) to medium (160°F) doneness, turning occasionally. Remove to platter; keep warm.
- Meanwhile to prepare Sweet Beet Vinaigrette, combine all ingredients except oil in small bowl; gradually whisk in oil until blended.
- Arrange salad greens on serving plates or platter. Top with roasted vegetables; drizzle with vinaigrette. Carve steaks into slices; season with salt, as desired. Arrange over salad. Garnish with almonds, if desired.
Calories from Fat 107 (28%)
(18%)Total Fat 12g
(15%)Saturated Fat 3g
Polyunsaturated Fat 0g
Monounsaturated Fat 0g
Total Carbohydrate 38g
(32%)Dietary Fiber 8g
Sugar Alcohols 0g
Copyright © 2015 Aisle7. All rights reserved. Aisle7.com
Read our healthy recipe definitions.
Learn more about Aisle7, the company.
Learn more about the authors of Aisle7 products.
The information presented here is for informational purposes only and was created by a team of US–registered dietitians and food experts. Consult your doctor, practitioner, and/or pharmacist for any health problem and before using any supplements, making dietary changes, or before making any changes in prescribed medications. Information expires June 2016.