Creamy Rice Pudding Brulee with Gingered Berries
Make this incredible treat when summer berries are at their peak.
- 3 cups mixed berries (such as strawberries and blueberries)
- 1 2-ounce jar crystallized ginger, coarsely chopped
- 2 cups heavy cream or half and half
- 3 cups cooked medium or long grain rice
- 2/3 cup packed light brown sugar, divided
- 1 Tablespoon butter
- ¾ teaspoon almond extract
- Preheat broiler. Combine berries and 3 Tablespoons chopped ginger in medium bowl; set aside.
- Bring heavy cream, rice, and 1/3 cup brown sugar just to a boil in large saucepan over medium-high heat. Reduce heat to medium; cook 10 minutes, stirring frequently, or until thickened. Remove from heat, stir in remaining ginger, butter, and extract.
- Spray 8 ovenproof custard cups* with vegetable cooking spray and place on baking sheet. Spoon equal amounts of rice mixture into each cup.
- Sprinkle evenly with remaining sugar; broil 2 to 3 minutes or until sugar completely melts and begins to bubble. Remove from broiler; let stand 2 minutes. Serve with berry mixture.
Preparation Tip: One 10-inch shallow oven-safe baking dish of quiche dish may be used in place of individual custard cups. Spoon entire rice mixture into dish; top with brown sugar an broil
Calories from Fat 37 (8%)
(7%)Total Fat 4g
(13%)Saturated Fat 3g
Polyunsaturated Fat 0g
Monounsaturated Fat 1g
Total Carbohydrate 112g
(3%)Dietary Fiber 1g
Sugar Alcohols 0g
Copyright © 2016 Healthnotes, Inc. All rights reserved. www.healthnotes.com
Read our healthy recipe definitions.
Learn more about Healthnotes, the company.
The information presented here is for informational purposes only and was created by a team of US–registered dietitians and food experts. Consult your doctor, practitioner, and/or pharmacist for any health problem and before using any supplements, making dietary changes, or before making any changes in prescribed medications. Information expires June 2017.