Cowboy Beef and Black Bean Chili
- 2 pounds ground beef (95% lean)
- 1 tablespoon vegetable oil
- 1-1/2 cups chopped onions
- 2 tablespoons minced garlic
- 2 medium yellow bell peppers, chopped
- 1 large jalapeno pepper, seeded, finely chopped
- 1/4 cup chili powder
- 1 tablespoon ground cumin
- 1 teaspoon dried oregano leaves, crushed
- 1 teaspoon dried thyme leaves, crushed
- 1/8 teaspoon ground red pepper
- 1 can (28 ounces) crushed tomatoes, undrained
- 1 can (14-1/2 ounces) chili-seasoned or zesty-style diced tomatoes, undrained
- 1 can (14 ounces) ready-to-serve beef broth
- 12 ounces dark beer
- 1/3 cup tomato paste
- 1 tablespoon honey
- 2 cans (15 ounces each) black beans, rinsed, drained
- chopped fresh cilantro (optional)
- Brown ground beef in stockpot over medium heat 8 to 10 minutes or until beef is no longer pink, breaking up into 3/4-inch crumbles. Remove from stockpot with slotted spoon. Set aside. Pour off drippings.
- Heat oil in same stockpot over medium heat until hot. Add onions and garlic; cook and stir 3 to 5 minutes or until onions are tender. Add bell peppers and jalapeno; cook and stir 4 to 5 minutes or until peppers are tender.
- Return beef crumbles to stockpot. Add chili powder, cumin, oregano, thyme and red pepper; cook and stir for 2 to 3 minutes. Stir in crushed tomatoes, diced tomatoes, broth, beer, tomato paste and honey; bring to a boil. Reduce heat; cover and simmer 45 minutes. Uncover stockpot; continue simmering 30 minutes or until thickened to desired consistency, stirring occasionally. Stir in beans; cook 5 to 10 minutes or until beans are heated through. Season with salt and black pepper, as desired. Garnish with cilantro, if desired.
Recipe courtesy of the National Cattleman’s Beef Association
This recipe is an excellent source of fiber, protein, niacin, vitamin B6, vitamin B12, iron, selenium and zinc.
Calories from Fat 82 (22%)
(14%)Total Fat 9g
(15%)Saturated Fat 3g
Polyunsaturated Fat 1g
Monounsaturated Fat 4g
Total Carbohydrate 38g
(46%)Dietary Fiber 11g
Sugar Alcohols 0g
Copyright © 2016 Healthnotes, Inc. All rights reserved. www.healthnotes.com
Read our healthy recipe definitions.
Learn more about Healthnotes, the company.
The information presented here is for informational purposes only and was created by a team of US–registered dietitians and food experts. Consult your doctor, practitioner, and/or pharmacist for any health problem and before using any supplements, making dietary changes, or before making any changes in prescribed medications. Information expires June 2017.