Corn Chowder with Cilantro
- 8 ears fresh corn, kernels sliced from cob and cobs reserved, about 4 cups
- 8 cups vegetable broth or mineral water
- 3 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 chipotle chile in adobo with 1?2 teaspoon sauce, minced
- 2 Tbs sugar
- 2 1/2 tsp kosher salt
- 2 red bell peppers, halved, seeded, and cut into 1?4-inch pieces
- 1 cup buttermilk
- 1 cup heavy cream
- 1/2 cup chopped fresh cilantro
- 1 Tbs fresh lime juice
- 1/2 cup chopped scallions
- Combine the corn cobs and stock in a large stockpot over medium heat. Bring to a boil, reduce heat, partially cover, and simmer for 30 minutes. Remove the cobs with a slotted spoon and discard. Reserve 2 cups of the stock and set aside until ready to use.
- Blanch the corn kernels in rapidly boiling water for 4 minutes. Drain and transfer all but 2 cups of the corn to a blender or food processor.
- Add the corn stock, garlic, chipotle in adobo with sauce, sugar, and salt and puree until smooth.
- Transfer the mixture to a large bowl and stir in the remaining 2 cups of corn, red peppers, buttermilk, heavy cream, cilantro, and lime juice.
- Refrigerate until ready to serve.
- To serve, ladle the soup into bowls and top with the chopped scallions.
Recipe courtesy of The Daily Soup Cookbook by Leslie Kaul, Bob Spiegel, Carla Ruben, and Peter Siegel with Robin Vitetta-Miller. Copyright © 1999 Carla Ruben, Bob Spiegel and Peter Siegel. All Rights Reserved. Published by Hyperion. Available wherever books are sold.
Nutrition Note: Nutrition Facts calculated using a serving size of 1 cup and vegetable broth.
Variation: Stir in 1 pound cooked, peeled, and deveined medium shrimp at step 4. Proceed with the rest of the recipe.
Calories from Fat 76 (29%)
(13%)Total Fat 9g
(19%)Saturated Fat 4g
Polyunsaturated Fat 2g
Monounsaturated Fat 2g
Total Carbohydrate 41g
(19%)Dietary Fiber 5g
Sugar Alcohols 0g
Copyright © 2016 Healthnotes, Inc. All rights reserved. www.healthnotes.com
Read our healthy recipe definitions.
Learn more about Healthnotes, the company.
The information presented here is for informational purposes only and was created by a team of US–registered dietitians and food experts. Consult your doctor, practitioner, and/or pharmacist for any health problem and before using any supplements, making dietary changes, or before making any changes in prescribed medications. Information expires June 2017.