We lightened up this popular Bahamian treat by substituting yogurt for the cream that’s customarily used.
- 1 14-ounce (400g) can reduced fat coconut milk
- 3/4 cup honey or maple syrup
- 2 tsp powdered agar
- 20 oz plain, nonfat yogurt or vanilla soy yogurt
- 1 tsp vanilla extract (omit if using vanilla soy yogurt)
- 1 Tbs coconut rum (optional)
- 1/3 cup shredded coconut
- Combine coconut milk, honey and agar in a medium saucepan. Cook over low heat stirring frequently until mixture thickens, about 5 minutes. Remove from heat. Stir in yogurt, vanilla, rum and coconut. Refrigerate until well-chilled, at least 1 hour.
- Freeze mixture in an ice cream maker according to manufacturer’s instructions. Let glacé ripen in freezer 1 hour before serving.
Calories from Fat 97 (38%)
(17%)Total Fat 11g
(48%)Saturated Fat 10g
Polyunsaturated Fat 0g
Monounsaturated Fat 0g
Total Carbohydrate 35g
(6%)Dietary Fiber 2g
Sugar Alcohols 0g
Copyright © 2016 Healthnotes, Inc. All rights reserved. www.healthnotes.com
Read our healthy recipe definitions.
Learn more about Healthnotes, the company.
The information presented here is for informational purposes only and was created by a team of US–registered dietitians and food experts. Consult your doctor, practitioner, and/or pharmacist for any health problem and before using any supplements, making dietary changes, or before making any changes in prescribed medications. Information expires June 2017.