Chopped Salad with Ham and Goat Cheese
Toasted pecans and buttery goat cheese make this a gourmet salad, and with bottled dressing there's minimal fuss.
- 8 oz ham, thinly sliced, cut into bite-size strips
- 1 Tbs butter
- 1/2 tsp five-spice powder, or curry powder
- 1/2 cup pecan, halved
- 1/4 cup bottled oil and vinegar salad dressing, OR Italian salad dressing
- 2 Tbs dry sherry
- 1 10 oz package Mediterranean-style mixed salad greens, or Italian-style, torn
- 1/2 small cucumber, halved lengthwise and sliced
- 1 cup pea pods, fresh, halved crosswise
- 1 cup cherry tomatoes, halved
- 2 oz goat cheese, semi-soft or feta cheese, crumbled
- Melt butter in a small skillet over medium heat. Stir in five-spice powder. Add pecans; cook and stir until nuts are toasted. Set aside. Combine salad dressing and sherry in a screw-top jar. Set aside.
- Combine salad greens, ham, cucumber, pea pods, tomatoes and toasted pecans in a large salad bowl. Shake salad dressing mixture to combine; pour over greens mixture. Toss until coated. Sprinkle with crumbled cheese.
Recipe courtesy of the National Pork Board
Calories from Fat 126 (58%)
(23%)Total Fat 15g
(23%)Saturated Fat 5g
Polyunsaturated Fat 3g
Monounsaturated Fat 7g
Total Carbohydrate 8g
(8%)Dietary Fiber 2g
Sugar Alcohols 0g
Copyright © 2016 Healthnotes, Inc. All rights reserved. www.healthnotes.com
Read our healthy recipe definitions.
Learn more about Healthnotes, the company.
The information presented here is for informational purposes only and was created by a team of US–registered dietitians and food experts. Consult your doctor, practitioner, and/or pharmacist for any health problem and before using any supplements, making dietary changes, or before making any changes in prescribed medications. Information expires June 2017.