Chipotle Sloppy Joes with Crunchy Coleslaw
- 1 pound ground beef (95% lean)
- 1/4 cup chopped onion
- 3/4 cup ketchup
- 1/2 cup frozen corn
- 1/2 cup canned black beans, rinsed, drained
- 1/2 cup tomato sauce
- 1 to 2 teaspoons minced chipotle peppers in adobo sauce
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1/4 cup chopped fresh cilantro
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon black pepper
- 4 whole wheat hamburger buns, split
- Crunchy Coleslaw:1/4 cup plain nonfat yogurt
- 1 tablespoon light mayonnaise
- 2 teaspoons cider vinegar
- 1/4 teaspoon hot pepper sauce
- 1/8 teaspoon salt
- 1-1/2 cups packaged coleslaw mix
- 1/2 red bell pepper, cut into 1/8-inch thick strips
- Black pepper
- To prepare Crunchy Coleslaw, combine yogurt, mayonnaise, vinegar, pepper sauce and salt in small bowl. Add coleslaw mix and bell pepper; toss to coat. Season with black pepper, as desired. Refrigerate, covered, until ready to serve.
- Brown ground beef with onion in large nonstick skillet over medium heat 8 to 10 minutes or until beef is no longer pink, breaking beef up into 3/4-inch crumbles. Pour off drippings. Stir in ketchup, corn, beans, tomato sauce, chipotle peppers and cumin; bring to a boil. Reduce heat; simmer 5 minutes, stirring often. Stir in cilantro, salt and black pepper.
- Place beef mixture on bottom half of each bun; top with coleslaw. Close sandwiches.
Recipe courtesy of the National Cattleman’s Beef Association
Cook's Tip: Thinly sliced green cabbage may be substituted for the packaged coleslaw mix.
Cook's Tip: This recipe works well with all varieties of lean ground beef, including 90% lean.
This recipe is an excellent source of fiber, protein, niacin, vitamin B6, vitamin B12, iron, selenium and zinc.
Calories from Fat 93 (21%)
(16%)Total Fat 10g
(17%)Saturated Fat 3g
Polyunsaturated Fat 1g
Monounsaturated Fat 4g
Total Carbohydrate 54g
(35%)Dietary Fiber 9g
Sugar Alcohols 0g
Copyright © 2017 Healthnotes, Inc. All rights reserved. www.healthnotes.com
Read our healthy recipe definitions.
Learn more about Healthnotes, the company.
The information presented here is for informational purposes only and was created by a team of US–registered dietitians and food experts. Consult your doctor, practitioner, and/or pharmacist for any health problem and before using any supplements, making dietary changes, or before making any changes in prescribed medications. Information expires December 2017.