Chicken Brunswick Stew with Roasted Garlic
A one-pot meat chock-full of whole chicken pieces, potatoes, and sweet corn.
- 1 head garlic
- 2 Tbs olive oil (plus 1 teaspoon)
- 1 3 lb chicken, cut into pieces
- 1/2 tsp pepper, freshly ground and divided
- 1/8 tsp oregano
- 1/8 tsp garlic salt
- 1 red bell pepper, cut into chunks
- 1 yellow bell pepper, cut into chunks
- 1 orange bell pepper, cut into chunks
- 2 garden tomatoes, chopped
- 1 14.5 oz can, low-sodium chicken broth
- 24 pearl onions, peeled
- 3 med potatoes, cut into 1-inch chunks
- 2 ears corn, cut into 2-inch chunks
- 1 small yellow squash, sliced
- 1 Tbs fresh sage (or 2 teaspoons dried sage), chopped
- 1/4 tsp salt
- Preheat oven to 400°F.
- Cut 6-inch square piece of aluminum foil. Slice 1/2-inch off top of garlic and set head on foil. Drizzle garlic with 1 teaspoon olive oil; wrap in foil and bake for 40 minutes, until soft. Remove and set aside to cool.
- Season chicken with garlic salt, oregano, and 1/4 teaspoon pepper. In large soup pot over medium-high heat, warm 2 tablespoons olive oil. Add chicken and sauté until browned, about 5 minutes per side. Remove chicken and set aside.
- Pour off all but 1 tablespoon of liquid. Add bell peppers and sauté for 2 minutes. Open foil and squeeze garlic out of skin, adding to pot.
- Stir in tomatoes with juice and broth; replace chicken. Bring to simmer over high heat; reduce to low and let stew for 15 minutes.
- Stir pearl onions, potatoes, corn, squash, and sage into stew; cook for 15 more minutes. Season with salt and remaining pepper; serve immediately in wide, shallow bowls.
Recipe courtesy of the National Chicken Council
Calories from Fat 145 (28%)
(25%)Total Fat 16g
(14%)Saturated Fat 3g
Polyunsaturated Fat 3g
Monounsaturated Fat 9g
Total Carbohydrate 55g
(29%)Dietary Fiber 7g
Sugar Alcohols 0g
Copyright © 2014 Aisle7. All rights reserved. Aisle7.com
Read our healthy recipe definitions.
Learn more about Aisle7, the company.
Learn more about the authors of Aisle7 products.
The information presented here is for informational purposes only and was created by a team of US–registered dietitians and food experts. Consult your doctor, practitioner, and/or pharmacist for any health problem and before using any supplements, making dietary changes, or before making any changes in prescribed medications. Information expires June 2015.