Chicken Baked with Pumpkin and Peanuts
Peanut butter, chopped peanuts, pumpkin, and cayenne give this chicken a unique flavor profile.
- 4 lbs chicken pieces, both white and dark parts
- 2 large onions, cut into 1-inch chunks
- 1 pie pumpkin or butternut squash, about 2 pounds, peeled and cut into 2-inch chunks
- 3/4 cup peanut butter
- 1 tsp salt, divided
- 1/2 tsp cayenne pepper, divided
- 1 1/2 cups chicken broth, very hot
- 1/4 cup lemon juice, divided
- 1/4 tsp black pepper
- 1/2 cup chopped peanuts
- Preheat oven to 400° F.
- In a 9 x 13 inch baking dish, place onions and pumpkin (or squash). In a medium bowl, stir together peanut butter, half of the salt and half of the cayenne pepper. Gradually stir in hot chicken broth, melting the peanut butter. Stir in half of the lemon juice. Pour over the pumpkin and onions.
- Place chicken on top of the vegetables. Sprinkle chicken with remaining salt, cayenne pepper and lemon juice. Sprinkle black pepper over chicken.
- Bake for 1 hour, until pumpkin is tender and fork can be inserted in chicken with ease. Sprinkle with peanuts.
Calories from Fat 280 (40%)
(50%)Total Fat 33g
(33%)Saturated Fat 7g
Polyunsaturated Fat 9g
Monounsaturated Fat 14g
Total Carbohydrate 24g
(18%)Dietary Fiber 4g
Sugar Alcohols 0g
Copyright © 2017 Healthnotes, Inc. All rights reserved. www.healthnotes.com
Read our healthy recipe definitions.
Learn more about Healthnotes, the company.
The information presented here is for informational purposes only and was created by a team of US–registered dietitians and food experts. Consult your doctor, practitioner, and/or pharmacist for any health problem and before using any supplements, making dietary changes, or before making any changes in prescribed medications. Information expires December 2017.