Cheesy Spinach-Stuffed Meatloaf
- Meatloaf:1 1/2 pounds lean ground beef
- 3/4 cup soft bread crumbs
- 1 egg
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/8 teaspoon pepper
- Filling1 package (10 ounces) frozen chopped spinach, defrosted, well drained
- 1/2 cup shredded part-skim mozzarella cheese
- 3 tablespoons grated Parmesan cheese
- 1 teaspoon dried Italian seasoning
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/8 teaspoon garlic powder
- Topping:3 tablespoons ketchup
- 1/4 cup shredded part-skim mozzarella cheese
- Dried Italian seasoning (optional)
- Heat oven to 350°. In medium bowl, combine filling ingredients; mix well. Set aside. In large bowl, combine meatloaf ingredients, mixing lightly but thoroughly.
- Place beef mixture on waxed paper and pat into 14 x 10-inch rectangle. Spread filling over beef, leaving 3/4-inch border around edges. Starting at short end, roll up jelly-roll fashion. Press beef mixture over spinach filling at both ends to seal. Place seam side down on rack in open roasting pan.
- Bake in 350° oven 1 hour. Spread ketchup over loaf; return to oven and continue baking 15 minutes. Top loaf with 1/4 cup mozzarella cheese. Sprinkle with additional Italian seasoning, if desired.
- To serve, cut into 1-inch thick slices.
Recipe courtesy of the National Cattleman’s Beef Association
Cook's Tip: To make soft bread crumbs, place torn bread slices in food processor, fitted with steel blade, or blender container. Cover; process 30 seconds, pulsing on and off, until fine crumbs. One and a half slices will yield 1 cup soft bread crumbs.
This recipe is an excellent source of protein, niacin, vitamin B6, vitamin B12, selenium and zinc; and a good source of iron.
Calories from Fat 152 (45%)
(26%)Total Fat 17g
(36%)Saturated Fat 7g
Polyunsaturated Fat 1g
Monounsaturated Fat 6g
Total Carbohydrate 14g
(8%)Dietary Fiber 2g
Sugar Alcohols 0g
Copyright © 2016 Healthnotes, Inc. All rights reserved. www.healthnotes.com
Read our healthy recipe definitions.
Learn more about Healthnotes, the company.
The information presented here is for informational purposes only and was created by a team of US–registered dietitians and food experts. Consult your doctor, practitioner, and/or pharmacist for any health problem and before using any supplements, making dietary changes, or before making any changes in prescribed medications. Information expires June 2017.