Cheddar-Crusted Chicken Breasts with Grapes and Apples in Grand Marnier Sauce
Grand Marnier, beef consommé, and orange marmalade create a wonderfully rich sauce to ladle over the cheesy chicken breasts.
- 6 chicken breast halves, skinless and boneless
- 1 medium onion, quartered
- 1/2 tsp dried sage
- 1 1/2 cups canned chicken broth
- 4 cups water
- 1/3 cup salt
- 2 cans beef consommé
- 2 tbls dark brown sugar
- 1/2 cup orange marmalade
- 1/4 cup cornstarch, dissolved in 1/4 cup cold water
- 3 tbls butter
- 3 red apples, cut into wedges (Rome or McIntosh apples preferred)
- 1/2 cup shredded cheddar cheese (with good orange color)
- 30 red seedless grapes
- 3 tbls Grand Marnier
- Rice and Barley with Almonds1 cup almond slivers browned
- 1 Tbs canola oil
- 2 cups chopped onions
- 1 cup brown rice
- 1 cup barley
- 8 dried apple slices (diced)
- 4 cups chicken stock or water
- 2 Tbs butter
- 2 tsp salt
- Put rice and barley on to cook as is directed in following recipe.
- Preheat broiler.
- In large saucepan over medium-high heat, bring to a boil quartered onion pieces, sage, chicken broth, water and salt. Add chicken; bring to a simmer and cook 2 minutes. Cover pan and remove from heat. Let stand 10 minutes. Remove chicken breasts to a plate; cover to keep warm. Discard broth mixture.
- In large saucepan over medium-high heat, warm beef consommé, brown sugar, orange marmalade and cornstarch-water mixture. Bring to a slow boil, stirring constantly. Remove sauce from heat and set aside.
- In medium heavy skillet over medium heat, melt butter. Sauté apple pieces until just browned, about 5-7 minutes. Set aside.
- Spray baking sheet with nonstick cooking spray. Pat chicken breasts dry with paper towel and arrange on baking sheet. Sprinkle each chicken breast with cheddar cheese; place under heated broiler just enough to melt and brown the cheese, about 2 minutes.
- To serve, place barley and rice on plate. Top with chicken breasts. Reheat sauce to a boil; stir in apple wedges, grapes and Grand Marnier. Spoon sauce over chicken breasts and barley-rice.
- Rice and Barley with Almonds:In oven warmed to 350° F, toast 1 cup almond slivers until browned, about 2-3 minutes. Remove from oven and set aside. In heavy pot or saucepan with lid, warm 1 tablespoon canola oil. Add 2 cups chopped onions; sauté until soft, about 7-10 minutes. Add 1 cup brown rice, 1 cup barley, 8 dried apple slices (diced), 4 cups chicken stock or water, 2 tablespoons butter and 2 teaspoons salt. Stir well and bring to a boil. Cover and cook at low simmer 35 minutes. Gently toss with fork; stir in almond slivers.
Calories from Fat 245 (29%)
(43%)Total Fat 28g
(49%)Saturated Fat 10g
Polyunsaturated Fat 2g
Monounsaturated Fat 6g
Total Carbohydrate 105g
(47%)Dietary Fiber 12g
Sugar Alcohols 0g
Copyright © 2016 Healthnotes, Inc. All rights reserved. www.healthnotes.com
Read our healthy recipe definitions.
Learn more about Healthnotes, the company.
The information presented here is for informational purposes only and was created by a team of US–registered dietitians and food experts. Consult your doctor, practitioner, and/or pharmacist for any health problem and before using any supplements, making dietary changes, or before making any changes in prescribed medications. Information expires June 2017.