Caramelized Onion Pilaf
Sautéing the onions intensifies their flavor and adds sweetness to this pilaf.
- 1 tsp olive oil
- 1 medium yellow onion, diced
- 3 cups cooked long grain brown rice
- 1 cup green peas, blanched
- 1 cup olives, wedged
- 1/3 cup toasted pine nuts
- kosher salt and ground black pepper to taste
- Heat oil in a medium sized sauté pan over medium-high heat. Stir in onions and turn heat down to medium-low. Cover and cook, stirring occasionally for 10-12 minutes, until onions are well caramelized. Stir in brown rice, peas, olives and pine nuts. Season to taste with salt and pepper.
Calories from Fat 124 (38%)
(22%)Total Fat 15g
(7%)Saturated Fat 1g
Polyunsaturated Fat 4g
Monounsaturated Fat 3g
Total Carbohydrate 43g
(23%)Dietary Fiber 6g
Sugar Alcohols 0g
Copyright © 2016 Healthnotes, Inc. All rights reserved. www.healthnotes.com
Read our healthy recipe definitions.
Learn more about Healthnotes, the company.
The information presented here is for informational purposes only and was created by a team of US–registered dietitians and food experts. Consult your doctor, practitioner, and/or pharmacist for any health problem and before using any supplements, making dietary changes, or before making any changes in prescribed medications. Information expires June 2016.