Cajun Barbecued Shrimp n' Grits with Tasso Gravy
Bring a taste of New Orleans to your plate with classic shrimp and grits.
- Barbecued Shrimp2 lbs extra large (26/30) shrimp (peeled & deveined)
- 3 Tbs Cajun blackening seasoning
- 3 Tbs barbecue spice
- 1/2 cup pomace olive oil
- Grits3 cups chicken stock
- 3/4 cup quick grits
- dash salt
- 8 oz smoked peppered bacon, chopped
- 1 medium onion, chopped fine
- 2 Tbs chopped fresh garlic
- 1 cup shredded sharp cheddar cheese
- 1/2 cup grated fresh Parmesan
- Tasso Gravy1/2 cup butter
- 1 cup tasso or other peppered pork, sliced thin
- 1/2 cup flour
- 1 Tbs barbecue spice
- 1/2 cup half & half
- 2 Tbs chopped parsley
- Season shrimp with blackening spice & barbecue spice. Heat large skillet till very hot over high flame, add oil and carefully add raw seasoned shrimp and toss quickly to blacken shrimp. When just done, remove to plate and set aside.
- In same skillet, add butter and Tasso and sauté for approximately 5 minutes over medium heat. Add flour and spice and stir to form a roux, continue to cook till roux is lightly browned and nutty in aroma. Add chicken stock & cream and stir till completely thickened; adjust thickness as needed with a little more cream if needed. When sauce is complete, add shrimp & parsley to sauce and hold warm till ready to serve.
- For the grits, sauté onions & bacon in skillet till caramelized and deeply browned, add garlic last to prevent garlic from burning. Place chicken stock in sauce pan and bring to a rapid boil, add grits and cook while stirring continuously till thickened.
- Remove from the heat and add cooked bacon & onions along with any pan juices and stir in cheddar cheese & parmesan. Adjust seasonings with salt & black pepper.
- To assemble, place a generous amount of grits in center of serving plate or bowl and top with creamy Cajun barbecued shrimp & Tasso gravy. Garnish with chopped scallions & a little extra cheddar cheese.
Recipe courtesy of the National Fisheries Institute
Calories from Fat 445 (63%)
(77%)Total Fat 50g
(97%)Saturated Fat 19g
Polyunsaturated Fat 5g
Monounsaturated Fat 22g
Total Carbohydrate 24g
(5%)Dietary Fiber 1g
Sugar Alcohols 0g
Copyright © 2013 Aisle7. All rights reserved. Aisle7.com
Read our healthy recipe definitions.
Learn more about Aisle7, the company.
Learn more about the authors of Aisle7 products.
The information presented here is for informational purposes only and was created by a team of US–registered dietitians and food experts. Consult your doctor, practitioner, and/or pharmacist for any health problem and before using any supplements, making dietary changes, or before making any changes in prescribed medications. Information expires June 2014.