Brown Basmati Rice with Apples and Walnuts
Recipe by Mary Martha Shaw
Serve this festive Fall salad with a cream of carrot soup for lunch or tofu cutlets and steamed greens for dinner. It would also be a good accompaniment to poached or steamed fish. Try packing leftovers the next day for lunch.
- 1/3 cup walnuts
- 2 Tbs extra virgin olive oil
- Zest from one orange
- 1/2 cup orange juice
- 2 Tbs apple cider vinegar
- 1/2 tsp sea salt
- 1/4 tsp black pepper
- 1/4 tsp ground nutmeg
- 4 cups cooked brown basmati rice
- 1/2 cup dried cranberries
- 1 Jonagold apple, cut into 1/4-inch (1/2-cm) pieces
- 3 stalks of celery, cut into 1/4-inch (1/2-cm) slices
- 5 or 6 pale green celery leaves, chopped
- 4 sprigs parsley, chopped
- Roast the walnuts in a preheated 350°F (175°C) oven for 5 to 7 minutes. Chop coarsely and set aside.
- In a large bowl, combine the olive oil, orange zest, orange juice, vinegar, sea salt, pepper, and nutmeg. Mix well.
- To this mixture, add the rice, cranberries, apple, celery, and celery leaves. Also add the parsley and chopped walnuts.
- Toss all together until the salad is well-mixed.
Calories from Fat 66 (28%)
(12%)Total Fat 8g
(5%)Saturated Fat 1g
Polyunsaturated Fat 3g
Monounsaturated Fat 3g
Total Carbohydrate 40g
(14%)Dietary Fiber 4g
Sugar Alcohols 0g
Copyright © 2015 Aisle7. All rights reserved. Aisle7.com
Read our healthy recipe definitions.
Learn more about Aisle7, the company.
Learn more about the authors of Aisle7 products.
The information presented here is for informational purposes only and was created by a team of US–registered dietitians and food experts. Consult your doctor, practitioner, and/or pharmacist for any health problem and before using any supplements, making dietary changes, or before making any changes in prescribed medications. Information expires June 2016.