Braised Beef with Tomato-Garlic White Beans
- 4 beef chuck mock tender steaks, cut 3/4 to 1 inch thick (about 6 ounces each)
- 1 teaspoon olive oil
- 1-1/2 cups chopped onions
- 1 can (14-1/2 ounces) Italian-style diced tomatoes, undrained
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- 1 can (15 ounces) white beans, rinsed, drained
- 2 cups coarsely chopped fresh spinach
- Grated or shredded Parmesan cheese (optional)
- Heat oil in large nonstick skillet over medium heat until hot. Place beef steaks in skillet; brown evenly. Pour off drippings. Add onions, tomatoes, salt and pepper to skillet; bring to a boil. Reduce heat; cover tightly and simmer 1-1/2 to 1-3/4 hours or until beef is fork-tender. Remove steaks; keep warm.
- Stir beans into cooking liquid; bring to a boil. Reduce heat slightly and cook 7 to 10 minutes or until sauce is thickened, stirring frequently.
- Stir in spinach; remove from heat. Let stand 1 minute. Serve steaks with bean mixture. Sprinkle with cheese, if desired.
Recipe courtesy of the National Cattleman’s Beef Association
Cook's Tip: Most supermarkets carry a variety of canned white beans, such as Great Northern, navy and cannellini. Any may be used in this recipe.
This recipe is an excellent source of fiber, protein, vitamin B6, vitamin B12, iron, selenium and zinc, and a good source of niacin.
Calories from Fat 76 (13%)
(13%)Total Fat 8g
(12%)Saturated Fat 2g
Polyunsaturated Fat 1g
Monounsaturated Fat 4g
Total Carbohydrate 75g
(73%)Dietary Fiber 18g
Sugar Alcohols 0g
Copyright © 2015 Aisle7. All rights reserved. Aisle7.com
Read our healthy recipe definitions.
Learn more about Aisle7, the company.
Learn more about the authors of Aisle7 products.
The information presented here is for informational purposes only and was created by a team of US–registered dietitians and food experts. Consult your doctor, practitioner, and/or pharmacist for any health problem and before using any supplements, making dietary changes, or before making any changes in prescribed medications. Information expires June 2016.