Braised Beef with Mushrooms & Barley
This hearty one-pot meal combines mushroom and barley with fork-tender pot roast.
- 1 boneless beef chuck arm, blade or shoulder pot roast (about 3 pounds)
- 1 Tbs vegetable oil
- 1 tsp salt
- 1/4 tsp pepper
- 1/2 lb medium cremini or button mushrooms, halved
- 1 medium onion, chopped
- 3 large cloves garlic, minced
- 1- 1/4 cups ready-to-serve beef broth
- 1 bay leaf
- 1/2 cup medium pearl barley
- 1 cup frozen peas, defrosted
- 1/3 cup dairy sour cream (optional)
- Heat oil in Dutch oven over medium heat until hot. Brown beef pot roast; remove. Season with salt and pepper.
- Add mushrooms, onion and garlic to Dutch oven; cook and stir until onion is lightly browned. Add broth and bay leaf. Return pot roast; bring to a boil. Reduce heat; cover tightly and simmer 1-1/2 hours. Stir in barley; continue cooking, covered, 45 to 60 minutes or until pot roast is fork-tender. Remove pot roast; keep warm. Discard bay leaf.
- Add peas and sour cream to barley. Cook and stir over low heat just until heated through. Carve pot roast. Serve with barley.
- Makes 6 to 8 servings.
Recipe courtesy of the National Cattleman’s Beef Association
Calories from Fat 476 (64%)
(81%)Total Fat 53g
(104%)Saturated Fat 21g
Polyunsaturated Fat 3g
Monounsaturated Fat 23g
Total Carbohydrate 21g
(18%)Dietary Fiber 4g
Sugar Alcohols 0g
Copyright © 2013 Aisle7. All rights reserved. Aisle7.com
Read our healthy recipe definitions.
Learn more about Aisle7, the company.
Learn more about the authors of Aisle7 products.
The information presented here is for informational purposes only and was created by a team of US–registered dietitians and food experts. Consult your doctor, practitioner, and/or pharmacist for any health problem and before using any supplements, making dietary changes, or before making any changes in prescribed medications. Information expires June 2014.