Braised Autumn Vegetables with Garbanzo Beans
Recipe by Mary Martha Shaw
- 1 Tbs extra virgin olive oil
- 1 small red onion, diced
- 1 cup winter squash, cut into 1/2-inch (1cm) cubes
- 1 small red pepper, cut into 1/2-inch (1cm) strips
- 2 cups broccoli florets
- 1 tsp sea salt
- 3/4 cup tomato juice
- 1/4 cup orange juice
- 1/4 cup lemon juice
- 2 Tbs tamari (wheat-free soy sauce)
- 2 cloves garlic
- 2 Tbs honey
- 1/2 tsp coriander
- 1/4 tsp cinnamon
- 1 tsp cumin
- 1/2 tsp fennel
- 2 tsp fresh ginger, minced
- 1 Tbs balsamic vinegar
- 2 cups garbanzo beans, cooked
- 3 cups brown basmati rice, cooked
- 1/4 cup fresh basil or cilantro, chopped
- Heat the oil in a 2-quart (1.9L) skillet. Add the onion, followed by the other vegetables in the order listed. Sauté for about 5 minutes. Add the salt and continue cooking while you make the braising sauce.
- While the vegetables are cooking, combine all of the remaining ingredients, except the beans, in a blender and process to make a smooth sauce.
- Add the sauce and the garbanzo beans to the vegetables.
- Continue cooking just until vegetables are fork-tender.
- Serve over a bed of basmati rice and garnish with fresh basil or cilantro.
Calories from Fat 58 (13%)
(10%)Total Fat 7g
(5%)Saturated Fat 1g
Polyunsaturated Fat 2g
Monounsaturated Fat 3g
Total Carbohydrate 88g
(40%)Dietary Fiber 10g
Sugar Alcohols 0g
Copyright © 2015 Aisle7. All rights reserved. Aisle7.com
Read our healthy recipe definitions.
Learn more about Aisle7, the company.
Learn more about the authors of Aisle7 products.
The information presented here is for informational purposes only and was created by a team of US–registered dietitians and food experts. Consult your doctor, practitioner, and/or pharmacist for any health problem and before using any supplements, making dietary changes, or before making any changes in prescribed medications. Information expires June 2016.