No one said that the tomato in a BLT had to be sliced. In this version, crushed tomatoes form the base for a quick soup.
- 8 slices bacon, crisply-cooked
- 1 28 oz can crushed tomatoes
- 1 14 1/2 oz can chicken broth
- 1 15 oz can cooked white beans, (cannellini or navy)
- 1 1/2 tsp Italian seasoning
- 2 tsp balsamic vinegar
- 1 cup leaf lettuce, shredded
- 1/4 cup fresh basil leaves, thinly sliced
- Coarsely crumble bacon & set aside. In 2-quart saucepan, stir together tomatoes, broth, beans and seasoning. Bring to a simmer; stir in vinegar. In small bowl, toss together lettuce & basil. Ladle soup into large soup plates or bowls; garnish each serving with crumbled bacon and lettuce & basil.
Recipe courtesy of the National Pork Board
Serving Suggestion: Serve with grilled cheese sandwiches.
Calories from Fat 79 (33%)
(14%)Total Fat 9g
(0%)Saturated Fat 0g
Polyunsaturated Fat 0g
Monounsaturated Fat 0g
Total Carbohydrate 29g
(0%)Dietary Fiber 0g
Sugar Alcohols 0g
Copyright © 2014 Aisle7. All rights reserved. Aisle7.com
Read our healthy recipe definitions.
Learn more about Aisle7, the company.
Learn more about the authors of Aisle7 products.
The information presented here is for informational purposes only and was created by a team of US–registered dietitians and food experts. Consult your doctor, practitioner, and/or pharmacist for any health problem and before using any supplements, making dietary changes, or before making any changes in prescribed medications. Information expires June 2015.