Best Rice Pilaf
This is a staple side dish- it can be varied by adding any chopped vegetable or dried or fresh herbs as desired.
- 1 Tbs olive oil
- 1/4 cup vermicelli, noodles, uncooked, broken into 2-inch pieces
- 1 1/2 cups white rice, uncooked
- 1 medium onion, chopped
- 6 cups chicken broth, (or vegetable broth if desired)
- Heat oil in a large skillet. Add broken vermicelli and sauté until pasta is brown.
- Rinse rice in cold water. Drain. Repeat this two more times. Add onion and rice to the skillet and cook, stirring over medium to high heat until rice is just beginning to brown. Reduce heat to simmer.
- If desired, add chopped mushrooms, celery, carrots or peas, or any other vegetable that is on hand.
- Add chicken broth to rice mixture and cover. Do not stir! Cook, covered for 15 minutes. Remove from heat and allow to sit covered for 10 minutes more.
- Fluff with a fork and serve piping hot.
Calories from Fat 49 (16%)
(8%)Total Fat 5g
(6%)Saturated Fat 1g
Polyunsaturated Fat 1g
Monounsaturated Fat 3g
Total Carbohydrate 54g
(7%)Dietary Fiber 2g
Sugar Alcohols 0g
Copyright © 2014 Aisle7. All rights reserved. Aisle7.com
Read our healthy recipe definitions.
Learn more about Aisle7, the company.
Learn more about the authors of Aisle7 products.
The information presented here is for informational purposes only and was created by a team of US–registered dietitians and food experts. Consult your doctor, practitioner, and/or pharmacist for any health problem and before using any supplements, making dietary changes, or before making any changes in prescribed medications. Information expires June 2015.