Beef Tenderloin with Savory Saucy Mushrooms and Lentils
A variety of mushrooms combine with lentils, broth and shallots to create a tasty sauce for tenderloin.
- 4 beef tenderloin steaks, cut 1 inch thick (about 6 ounces each)
- 1/2 cup uncooked lentils
- 1/2 cup water
- 2 cups ready-to-serve beef broth, divided
- 1 tsp fresh thyme, chopped or 1/2 teaspoon dried thyme leaves, crushed
- salt and pepper
- 2 tsp olive oil
- 1- 1/2 cups assorted mushrooms (shiitake, enoki, straw, cremini, button or chanterelle), whole or cut in half if large
- 1/4 cup minced shallots
- 1 Tbs cornstarch
- 1 Tbs Worcestershire sauce
- Combine lentils, water and 1/2 cup broth in medium saucepan; bring to a boil. Reduce heat to low; cover and simmer 30 to 45 minutes or until lentils are tender but not mushy. Stir in thyme; season with salt and pepper, as desired. Keep warm.
- Meanwhile heat large nonstick skillet over medium heat until hot. Place steaks in skillet; cook 10 to 13 minutes for medium rare (145°F) to medium (160°F) doneness, turning occasionally. Remove to platter; season with salt and pepper, as desired. Keep warm.
- Heat oil in same skillet over medium heat until hot. Add mushrooms and shallots; cook and stir 3 to 5 minutes or until mushrooms are tender and browned. Add remaining 1-1/2 cups broth to skillet, stirring until browned bits attached to bottom of pan are dissolved; bring to a boil. Combine cornstarch and Worcestershire sauce in small bowl; stir into mushroom mixture. Cook 2 minutes or until sauce thickens, stirring occasionally. Season with salt and pepper, as desired.
- Divide lentils among 4 serving plates. Top with steaks and mushroom sauce.
Calories from Fat 120 (30%)
(20%)Total Fat 13g
(20%)Saturated Fat 4g
Polyunsaturated Fat 0g
Monounsaturated Fat 0g
Total Carbohydrate 21g
(14%)Dietary Fiber 4g
Sugar Alcohols 0g
Copyright © 2015 Aisle7. All rights reserved. Aisle7.com
Read our healthy recipe definitions.
Learn more about Aisle7, the company.
Learn more about the authors of Aisle7 products.
The information presented here is for informational purposes only and was created by a team of US–registered dietitians and food experts. Consult your doctor, practitioner, and/or pharmacist for any health problem and before using any supplements, making dietary changes, or before making any changes in prescribed medications. Information expires June 2016.