Beef or Turkey Stew
This dish goes nicely with a green leaf lettuce and cucumber salad and a dinner roll. Plantains or corn can be used in place of the potatoes.
- 1 lb lean beef or turkey breast, cut into cubes
- 2 Tbs whole wheat flour
- 1/4 tsp salt (optional)
- 1/4 tsp pepper
- 1/4 tsp cumin
- 1 1/2 Tbs olive oil
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 2 medium onions, sliced
- 2 stalks celery, sliced
- 1 medium red/green bell pepper, sliced
- 1 medium tomato, finely minced
- 5 cups beef or turkey broth, fat removed
- 5 small potatoes, peeled and cubed
- 12 small carrots, cut into large chunks
- 1 1/4 cups green peas
- Preheat oven to 375 °F.
- Mix the whole wheat flour with salt, pepper, and cumin. Roll the beef or turkey cubes in the mixture. Shake off excess flour.
- In a large skillet, heat olive oil over medium-high heat. Add beef or turkey cubes and sauté until nicely brown, about 7-10 minutes.
- Place beef or turkey in an ovenproof casserole dish.
- Add minced garlic, onions, celery, and peppers to skillet and cook until vegetables are tender, about 5 minutes.
- Stir in tomato and broth. Bring to a boil and pour over turkey or beef in casserole dish. Cover dish tightly and bake for 1 hour at 375 °F.
- Remove from oven and stir in potatoes, carrots, and peas. Bake for another 20-25 minutes or until tender.
Nutrition Note: Nutrition calculated using beef.
Calories from Fat 62 (19%)
(11%)Total Fat 7g
(8%)Saturated Fat 2g
Polyunsaturated Fat 0g
Monounsaturated Fat 0g
Total Carbohydrate 41g
(32%)Dietary Fiber 8g
Sugar Alcohols 0g
Copyright © 2017 Healthnotes, Inc. All rights reserved. www.healthnotes.com
Read our healthy recipe definitions.
Learn more about Healthnotes, the company.
The information presented here is for informational purposes only and was created by a team of US–registered dietitians and food experts. Consult your doctor, practitioner, and/or pharmacist for any health problem and before using any supplements, making dietary changes, or before making any changes in prescribed medications. Information expires December 2017.