Beef Barley Soup
A comforting bowl of beef barley soup is a great way to warm up on a cold winter's eve.
- 3 lbs beef shank cross cuts, cut 1 inch thick
- 1 Tbs vegetable oil
- 1 medium onion, chopped
- 1/2 cup chopped carrot
- 1/2 cup chopped celery with leaves
- 3 cloves garlic, minced
- 1- 1/2 tsp salt
- 1- 1/2 tsp dried thyme
- 1/2 tsp pepper
- 1 bay leaf
- 1/3 cup medium pearl barley
- 1 package (9 ounces) frozen French-cut green beans
- Heat oil in Dutch oven over medium heat until hot. Add onion, carrot, celery and garlic; cook and stir 5 minutes or until tender. Add beef, 5 cups water, salt, thyme, pepper and bay leaf; bring to a boil. Reduce heat; cover tightly and simmer 1 hour.
- Remove cross cuts. Cut beef from bones; cut beef into 3/4-inch pieces. Skim fat from soup. Stir in beef and barley; continue cooking, covered, 50 to 60 minutes or until beef and barley are tender.
- Add green beans; bring to a boil. Reduce heat; simmer 2 to 3 minutes or until beans are tender. Discard bay leaf.
Recipe courtesy of the National Cattleman’s Beef Association
Calories from Fat 102 (27%)
(17%)Total Fat 11g
(16%)Saturated Fat 3g
Polyunsaturated Fat 1g
Monounsaturated Fat 5g
Total Carbohydrate 16g
(17%)Dietary Fiber 4g
Sugar Alcohols 0g
Copyright © 2015 Aisle7. All rights reserved. Aisle7.com
Read our healthy recipe definitions.
Learn more about Aisle7, the company.
Learn more about the authors of Aisle7 products.
The information presented here is for informational purposes only and was created by a team of US–registered dietitians and food experts. Consult your doctor, practitioner, and/or pharmacist for any health problem and before using any supplements, making dietary changes, or before making any changes in prescribed medications. Information expires June 2016.