Basic Sponge Cake Roll
The whimsical pinwheels sliced from this basic sponge cake roll bring delight to the dessert table.
- 6 egg whites, room temperature
- 3/4 tsp cream of tartar
- 2/3 cup granulated sugar, divided
- 6 egg yolks, room temperature
- 1 tsp vanilla
- 1/4 tsp salt
- 3/4 cup all-purpose flour
- powdered sugar, sifted
- Heat oven to 400°F. Coat 15 1/2 x 10 1/2 x 1-inch jelly-roll pan with cooking spray. Line bottom with waxed or parchment paper; spray paper.
- Beat egg whites and cream of tartar in mixer bowl with whisk attachment on high speed until foamy. Beating constantly, Add 1/3 cup of the granulated sugar, 2 Tbs at a time. Beat after each addition to make certain sugar is dissolved before adding next (Rub a bit of mixture between thumb and forefinger; it should feel completely smooth). Continue beating until whites are glossy and stand in soft peaks.
- Beat egg yolks in clean mixer bowl on high speed until thick and lemon-colored, 3 to 5 minutes. Gradually Beat in remaining 1/3 cup granulated sugar until mixture is pale yellow and sugar is dissolved. Beat in vanilla and salt.
- Sift flour over egg whites. Add yolk mixture. Fold gently but thoroughly until color is uniform and no streaks of flour remain. Do not stir. Pour into prepared pan; spread even.
- Bake in 400°F oven until center springs back when lightly tapped with finger, 10 to 12 minutes.
- Sprinkle clean kitchen towel with powdered sugar. Loosen cake from sides of pan with knife. Invert cake onto towel; carefully peel off waxed paper. Trim all cake edges with serrated knife. Roll up cake, starting from short end and rolling towel in with cake. Cool wrapped cake roll, seam-side down on wire rack.
Calories from Fat 27 (21%)
(5%)Total Fat 3g
(5%)Saturated Fat 1g
Polyunsaturated Fat 0g
Monounsaturated Fat 0g
Total Carbohydrate 21g
(0%)Dietary Fiber 0g
Sugar Alcohols 0g
Copyright © 2013 Aisle7. All rights reserved. Aisle7.com
Read our healthy recipe definitions.
Learn more about Aisle7, the company.
Learn more about the authors of Aisle7 products.
The information presented here is for informational purposes only and was created by a team of US–registered dietitians and food experts. Consult your doctor, practitioner, and/or pharmacist for any health problem and before using any supplements, making dietary changes, or before making any changes in prescribed medications. Information expires June 2014.