Basic Cheese Soufflé
Remember: the soufflé doesn't wait for the guests, the guests wait for the soufflé. Be ready to whisk it to the table as soon as it's out of the oven.
- 1/4 cup all-purpose flour
- 1/4 tsp salt
- 1 cup milk
- 1 1/2 cups shredded Cheddar cheese (6 oz.)
- 4 eggs, separated, at room temperature
- 1/2 tsp cream of tartar
- Heat oven to 350°F. Mix flour and salt in medium saucepan; gradually whisk in milk until smooth. Cook over medium-high heat, stirring constantly, until mixture thickens and boils. Reduce heat to low. Add cheese; stir until melted. Remove from heat.
- Beat egg whites and cream of tartar in mixer bowl with whisk attachment on high speed until stiff but not dry, just until whites no longer slip when bowl is tilted.
- Stir egg yolks into reserved sauce until blended. Gently but thoroughly fold yolk mixture into whites until no streaks of white remain. Carefully pour into ungreased 1-1/2 to 2-quart soufflé dish.
- Bake in 350°F oven until soufflé is puffy, delicately browned and shakes slightly when oven rack is moved gently back and forth, 30 to 40 minutes. Serve immediately.
Calories from Fat 361 (60%)
(62%)Total Fat 40g
(115%)Saturated Fat 23g
Polyunsaturated Fat 13g
Monounsaturated Fat 2g
Total Carbohydrate 21g
(0%)Dietary Fiber 0g
Sugar Alcohols 0g
Copyright © 2013 Aisle7. All rights reserved. Aisle7.com
Read our healthy recipe definitions.
Learn more about Aisle7, the company.
Learn more about the authors of Aisle7 products.
The information presented here is for informational purposes only and was created by a team of US–registered dietitians and food experts. Consult your doctor, practitioner, and/or pharmacist for any health problem and before using any supplements, making dietary changes, or before making any changes in prescribed medications. Information expires June 2014.