Barley and Mushroom Salad
Fiber-rich barley, instead of lettuce, is the base for this salad that combines the mellow flavor of roasted red onion with hearty shiitake mushrooms.
- Vinaigrette1 Tbs white wine vinegar
- 1 tsp honey
- 1 tsp brown mustard
- 3 Tbs olive oil
- salt and pepper
- 1/2 red onion
- olive oil
- 2 2/3 cups vegetable broth
- 2/3 cup pearl barley
- 4 oz raw shiitake mushrooms, sliced
- 1/2 cup chopped fresh parsley
- 1 tsp salt
- For vinaigrette, whisk together vinegar, honey and mustard. Slowly add oil while whisking, until emulsified. Add salt and pepper to taste.
- Preheat oven to 350° F. Peel onion half and coat with oil. Place on baking sheet and roast until tender, about 30 minutes. Chop coarsely.
- In a medium pot, bring broth to a boil and add barley. Reduce heat and simmer, covered, until barley is tender (35 to 40 minutes). Drain any excess liquid; spread barley on a baking sheet to cool.
- In a sauté pan over medium heat, cook mushrooms with 1 tablespoon of oil until tender. Mix sautéed mushrooms into cooled barley, along with onion, parsley, salt and vinaigrette. Adjust seasoning as desired.
Calories from Fat 60 (29%)
(10%)Total Fat 7g
(5%)Saturated Fat 1g
Polyunsaturated Fat 1g
Monounsaturated Fat 4g
Total Carbohydrate 34g
(22%)Dietary Fiber 6g
Sugar Alcohols 0g
Copyright © 2015 Aisle7. All rights reserved. Aisle7.com
Read our healthy recipe definitions.
Learn more about Aisle7, the company.
Learn more about the authors of Aisle7 products.
The information presented here is for informational purposes only and was created by a team of US–registered dietitians and food experts. Consult your doctor, practitioner, and/or pharmacist for any health problem and before using any supplements, making dietary changes, or before making any changes in prescribed medications. Information expires June 2016.