Baked Chili with Beef and Pinto Beans
A delicious, spicy chili. Though easy to make, it needs time to cook. Serve with cornbread and salad.
- 1 1/2 cups pinto beans, dried
- 5 1/2 cups water
- 1 lb round steak, trimmed, cut into 1inch (3cm) pieces
- 2 1/2 Tbs chili powder
- 1 Tbs cumin
- 1 tsp salt (sea salt if on a corn-free diet*)
- 1 tsp cayenne pepper
- 1 1/2 cups onion, chopped
- 3 cloves garlic, minced
- 3 1/2 cups tomato sauce, (one 29-ounce can)
- Preheat oven to 325°F (165°C).
- Rinse beans thoroughly and sort through to remove dirt. In a large Dutch oven, cover beans and water, and heat to a boil. Boil for two minutes. Add remaining ingredients and stir. Cover and bake in oven until beef and beans are tender, about 4 hours. Remove from oven and stir.
- Serve with light sour cream and chopped green onions.
* Allergy notes: People following a corn-free diet should avoid iodized salt since it contains dextrose, which should be avoided by those allergic to corn.
Calories from Fat 66 (32%)
(11%)Total Fat 7g
(13%)Saturated Fat 3g
Polyunsaturated Fat 1g
Monounsaturated Fat 3g
Total Carbohydrate 20g
(20%)Dietary Fiber 5g
Sugar Alcohols 0g
Copyright © 2013 Aisle7. All rights reserved. Aisle7.com
Read our healthy recipe definitions.
Learn more about Aisle7, the company.
Learn more about the authors of Aisle7 products.
The information presented here is for informational purposes only and was created by a team of US–registered dietitians and food experts. Consult your doctor, practitioner, and/or pharmacist for any health problem and before using any supplements, making dietary changes, or before making any changes in prescribed medications. Information expires June 2014.