Baked Chicken Breast with Stewed Peaches
For an easy, elegant meal, pair mild-tasting chicken with fruit. The peaches by themselves are amazing (they could double as dessert!), but when cooked with the chicken produce a lovely dish with absolutely no butter or oil. We use crushed almonds where some cooks might use buttered bread crumbs.
- olive oil
- 4 boneless, skinless chicken breasts, 5 to 6 ounces each
- salt, optional
- juice of 6 oranges (about 3 cups)
- 4 ripe peaches (about 13/4 pounds), peeled, pitted, and sliced
- 1/2 cup packed raisins
- 1 Tbs chopped toasted almonds, for garnish
- Preheat the oven to 350°F. Rub a tiny amount of olive oil in a shallow baking pan large enough to hold the chicken in a single layer.
- Lay the breasts in the pan and sprinkle lightly with salt, if desired. Bake for about 35 minutes or until the chicken is cooked through and an instant-read thermometer registers 170°F when inserted in the thickest part of the chicken. Pour off the pan juice from the chicken.
- Meanwhile, in a saucepan, combine the orange juice, peaches, and raisins. Bring to a boil, reduce the heat, and simmer, uncovered, for about 20 minutes or until the peaches are soft.
- Serve the chicken with the stewed peaches and sauce spooned over it and garnished with almonds.
- Toasted AlmondsPut the nuts in a small dry skillet and toast over medium-high heat for 3 to 5 minutes, shaking the pan, until the almonds are fragrant and lightly browned. Remove from the heat and set aside to cool.
Recipe courtesy of The Pump Energy Food by Steve Kapelonis and Elena Kapelonis. Copyright © 2005 Steve Kapelonis and Elena Kapelonis. All Rights Reserved. Published by Hyperion. Available wherever books are sold.
Calories from Fat 52 (13%)
(9%)Total Fat 6g
(5%)Saturated Fat 1g
Polyunsaturated Fat 1g
Monounsaturated Fat 2g
Total Carbohydrate 55g
(17%)Dietary Fiber 4g
Sugar Alcohols 0g
Copyright © 2013 Aisle7. All rights reserved. Aisle7.com
Read our healthy recipe definitions.
Learn more about Aisle7, the company.
Learn more about the authors of Aisle7 products.
The information presented here is for informational purposes only and was created by a team of US–registered dietitians and food experts. Consult your doctor, practitioner, and/or pharmacist for any health problem and before using any supplements, making dietary changes, or before making any changes in prescribed medications. Information expires June 2014.