Asparagus and creamy Gruyere create a delightful twist to this popular snack.
- 1 lb asparagus, ends trimmed and cut into 2 inch pieces
- 8 oz Gruyere cheese, grated
- 6 oz good country ham, or 4 oz proscuitto, finely chopped or ground in food processor
- 1 10 oz French baguette, cut into 1/2-inch slices, grilled or toasted
- 3 garlic cloves, peeled and cut in half
- extra-virgin olive oil
- kosher salt
- freshly ground black pepper
- Preheat broiler. Bring a large sauté pan of salted water to a boil over high heat. Add the asparagus and cook until tender crisp, about 2 minutes. Transfer the asparagus to a colander, refresh under cold running water to stop the cooking, and drain well. Set aside.
- In a small bowl, combine the cheese and ham; toss to mix. Set aside.
- Using your fingers to hold the garlic, rub the clove against one side of the toasted bread to flavor the entire surface. Drizzle or brush with a bit of the olive oil. Arrange the blanched asparagus on the toasts, then divide the cheese and ham topping evenly over the asparagus. Season with salt and pepper.
- Place bruschetta on a baking sheet and broil just until the cheese melts and begins to brown, about 1-2 minutes. Keep a careful watch so as not to burn.
- Serve immediately.
Calories from Fat 43 (24%)
(6%)Total Fat 4g
(0%)Saturated Fat 0g
Polyunsaturated Fat 0g
Monounsaturated Fat 0g
Total Carbohydrate 16g
(0%)Dietary Fiber 0g
Sugar Alcohols 0g
Copyright © 2015 Aisle7. All rights reserved. Aisle7.com
Read our healthy recipe definitions.
Learn more about Aisle7, the company.
Learn more about the authors of Aisle7 products.
The information presented here is for informational purposes only and was created by a team of US–registered dietitians and food experts. Consult your doctor, practitioner, and/or pharmacist for any health problem and before using any supplements, making dietary changes, or before making any changes in prescribed medications. Information expires June 2016.