Fast-off-the-Grill Chorizo Quesadillas
Chorizo, a flavorful Mexican sausage, is the star of this terrific grilled appetizer.
- 3/4 lb pork chorizo
- 5 10 inch flour tortillas
- 1 16 oz can black bean refried beans
- 1/2 lb Colby cheese, grated
- 1 cup fresh cilantro leaves, loosely packed
- olive oil, for brushing
- 1 1/2 cups tomatillo salsa, (store-bought, look for tomatillo salsa fresh in the refrigerator case or in jars on the shelf)
- Heat a medium skillet over medium-high heat. Use a spatula to crumble the chorizo as you place it in the pan. Sauté the chorizo until browned and cooked through, about 5 minutes. Using a slotted spoon, remove the chorizo from the skillet to a plate.
- Arrange 5 tortillas on a work surface. Spread about 1/4 cup refried beans evenly over half of each tortilla, leaving a 1/2 inch border. Scatter about 1/3 cup cooked chorizo over beans. Scatter a generous 1/3 cup of cheese over top. Divide and arrange cilantro over top of cheese. Fold opposite half of tortilla over the filling. (The quesadillas can be assembled up to 1 hour before serving. Cover loosely with plastic wrap so they don't dry out, and set aside at room temperature.)
- Prepare a medium fire in a charcoal grill or preheat a gas grill on medium. Brush outsides of tortillas with a small amount of oil. Using a wide spatula, transfer quesadillas to the grill. Grill on one side for about one minute, slide and turn quesadillas 90°, grilling until nice cross-hatch grill marks appear. Slide spatula underneath to flip quesadillas and grill the second side. Transfer the quesadillas to a cutting board. Use a sharp knife or pizza cutter to cut the quesadillas into 5 wedges. Arrange on a platter and serve immediately accompanied with the tomatillo salsa.
Recipe courtesy of the National Pork Board
Calories from Fat 280 (52%)
(48%)Total Fat 31g
(65%)Saturated Fat 13g
Polyunsaturated Fat 0g
Monounsaturated Fat 0g
Total Carbohydrate 40g
(20%)Dietary Fiber 5g
Sugar Alcohols 0g
Copyright © 2015 Aisle7. All rights reserved. Aisle7.com
Read our healthy recipe definitions.
Learn more about Aisle7, the company.
Learn more about the authors of Aisle7 products.
The information presented here is for informational purposes only and was created by a team of US–registered dietitians and food experts. Consult your doctor, practitioner, and/or pharmacist for any health problem and before using any supplements, making dietary changes, or before making any changes in prescribed medications. Information expires June 2016.